A car is a wheeled motor vehicle used for transporting passengers, which also carries its own engine or motor. Most definitions of the term specify that automobiles are designed to run primarily on roads, to typically have four wheels. Here are some interesting facts about Cars:
1. The first car was invented in the year 1672 by Ferdinand Verbiest.
2. The first self-propelled car was invented by Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot in 1769. It was designed with three wheels and an engine in the front along with the boiler. The car was able to run at a speed of 6 km/h.
3. The first cars did not have steering wheels. Drivers steered with a lever.
4. World’s first motor-accident was in 1769. The vehicle is still preserved in the Conservatoire national des arts et métiers in Paris.
5. The first engine powered car was built in Mannheim, Germany by Karl Benz in 1885.
6. The first steam car was invented in 1769 by Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot in France.
7. The first gasoline automobile was made in 1885 by Karl Friedrich of Germany.
8. The car that sold more than one million units in 1965, setting a record that even stands till date is the Chevrolet Impala.
9. The first auto insurance policy was purchased in in 1897 in Westfield, MA.
10. Windshield wipers were introduced by a woman.
11. An airbag moves up to 4500 mph within a second when triggered. A force of 200g is generated. They are designed to explode at an impact speed of 19 mph. The bag inflates within 40 milliseconds of a crash.
12. In 1924 a Ford automobile cost $265.
13. The word 'automobile' is a blend of French words 'auto' and 'mobile' which means self and moving respectively.
14. Chevrolet Impala was one such car that had enjoyed a breaking sales record of more than one million in 1965.
15. The Most expensive Car ever sold is 1931 Bugatti Royale Kellner Coupe with price of $87,00,000.
16. First Car Radio was invented by Paul Gavin in 1929.
17. Red Cars Are prohibited in Shanghai,China.
18. Being used in movie Gone in 60 seconds, 1967 Shelby Mustang GT-500 is recognizes as one of the most famous cars ever.
19.Ferrari produces a maximum of 14 cars per day. Most manufacturers put out thousands of cars on a daily basis. As a case in point, Ford reaches an astronomical production rate of 8,000-10,0000 each day.
20.An airbag takes only 40 milliseconds to deflate.
21.1 out of every 4 cars produced in the world come from China.
22.Drivers kill more deer than hunters.
23.The world’s most profitable car manufacturer is Porsche.